Jesus' Vision for Your One Wild and Precious Life
In Stock November 1, 2023
Rather than focusing on the seven last words of a dying Jesus, author Mike Graves draws the reader's attention to the seven first words – or, as he calls them – the seven essential sayings.
What if a biographer followed Jesus around for a couple of months interviewing him, what would stand out? Or here's a wild idea: If you met Jesus for coffee once a week for half a year, how would you describe him to your friends? (Imagine traveling back to the first century or him joining you in the present. Both versions intrigue me.) What would Jesus be passionate about? What are the seven essential sayings of Jesus, the seven first words? How does one summarize his life so that it models the good life for us?
With each of the seven words/teachings of Jesus, Graves leads us in an exploration of the Gospels and also provides some social commentary on our day, on things like:
In doing so, Graves reflects on how these sayings by Jesus can help shape our wild and precious lives today. What about the nitty gritty of modern life, the world we live in? Lastly, reflection questions are included at the end of each chapter for personal reflection, or maybe better yet, group discussions since some things are too important to do alone. These are the seven words/teachings of Jesus:
1. "Follow Me” (Studying under Jesus)
2. "Good News to the Poor” (Justice for the Most Vulnerable)
3. "Blessed are the..” (What the Good Life Really Looks Like)
4. You Give Them Something to Eat” (Feeding the Hungry)
5. "Your Faith has Made You Well. (When People Are Made Whole)
6. "The Kingdom of God is like” (When God Is in Charge)
7. "Love of God and neighbor” (The Most Important Word)